Following the decisions at UNCCD COP14, FAO in collaboration with UNCCD will be organizing a series of online expert consultations that will contribute to produce a technical guide on how to integrate the VGGT into the implementation of the Convention and land degradation neutrality. These consultations will bring together national experts from selected countries, subject matter experts, SPI members and CSO representatives of UNCCD and key resource partners who will contribute in the preparation of the technical guide.
The first online consultation were be held on 17 June 2020 on occasion of the “Desertification and Drought Day” from 14:00 – 16:00 hrs (Rome time)
1. Why are we here?
14:00-14:10 (10 min)
Opening and setting the scene
Vera Boerger, Senior Land and Water Officer, FAO, and Barron Orr, Lead Scientist at UNCCD14:10-14:40 (30 min)
– Eduardo Mansur, Director, Land and Water Division, FAO
– Marcela Villarreal, Director, Partnerships Division, FAO
– Louise Baker, Unit Chief, External Relations, Policy and Advocacy, UNCCD
– Christina Blank, Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC)
– Christopher Hegadorn, Secretary, Committee on World Food Security
– Marioldy Sanchez SantivaÃ±ez, AIDER, Peru
2. What realities do we have on ground?
14:40-15:30 (50 min)
Status of VGGT and LDN
Insights from country case studies of bridging the gap between VGGT and LDN- Mongolia – Governance in pastureland;
– Sierra Leone – National Land Policy Reform
– Senegal – Introducing VGGT in integrated land management
– Tunisia – Land consolidation and conservation
– Guyana – Linkages of LDN and land use planningDiscussions
3. How can you contribute?
15:30-15:55 (25 min)
Next steps and draft annotated outline
– Introduction by Stefan Schlingloff, Land and Water Officer, FAOConsultative process in countries and CRIC
– Intervention by Trevor L. Benn, Commissioner, Guyana Lands and Surveys CommissionDiscussion and roles for contributing to the process15:55-16:00 (5 min)
Conclusion and closing remarks